Friday, September 18, 2009

Scared Mommy!

Little Miss Sophie gave us quite the scare last night...

Yesterday, around 4pm, day care called and said that Sophie was running a temp and that she was just "irritable" (my words). She just couldn't seem to get comfortable and was not her usual happy, smiley, lovable self. I told them I would be right there.

Her temp was around 100*-101* and it seemed to be rising. I called Jeremy thinking he could just meet me to take Mia home while I took Sophie to Urgent Care but they ended up staying with us. Poor little girl... she was just miserable! Her eyes were all red and glassy and you could just tell she wasn't feeling well at all. When we got in to see a doctor, the nurse took her temp and now it was 103*! EEEEEKKK!!!!!!!! The doctor took a look at Sophie's ears and throat, listened to her lungs and they did a little oxygen test on her. All checked out fairly well... ears and throat were "a little red" but not enough to call it strep or an ear infection. Just to be on the safe side and to give Sophie some relief, she Rx some amoxicillin and gave her a dose of Motrin while we were there. By the time Mia and I got the Rx filled and got home, Sophie seemed to be doing MUCH better. She even had a little supper and sucked down about 2 bottles of milk! Things were looking pretty good.

Then came 11:30pm. Sophie woke up and was just kind of moaning. She was burning up and lethargic. She wouldn't open her eyes, she wouldn't take her bottle of milk. I couldn't get her to take her medicine if she wouldn't even drink her milk so I had to do something to get her to come out of it. I tried rubbing her back, singing her favorite song to her (Dora the Explorer) and nothing. Poor little thing just kept moaning and wanting to cry, but she just couldn't. Even when I sat her up, her little head just hung forward. I was getting pretty worried by this point when I remembered reading on someones blog about her son having a terribly high fever and she put him in a luke warm bath. So, into the tub Sophie went!

She was NOT a happy camper about that but I didn't care at that point. I just needed to get her temperature down (side note... my thermometer's battery must have died because it wasn't working and the paci-thermometer that I bought yesterday - Sophie wouldn't take it so I was shooting blind at this point). Jeremy has a laser temperature thing (I have no idea why or what it is supposed to be used for) and at one point when he tried that (hey, it was better than the big fat nothing I had!) it read 103*.

So after her first bath, she came around a little bit and I cuddled her a little and she drank a little bit of the bottle but it still didn't seem like she was "all there" so I put her back into the tub. This time for a little longer. Again, she was NOT happy but after a little bit she got a little better. When she seemed like she was more alert, I took her out. Poor thing just wanted to go to sleep but I wanted to keep her awake long enough to drink her bottle (I put the Motrin in there) to get some fluids in her again. I put a Dora DVD into the player and she watched enough so I could actually get a reading off of the paci-thermometer (she sort of took it - it was 102*) and to finish her bottle. While I was washing the bottles so I would have a clean one for in the morning, Sophie fell asleep so Jeremy moved her back into her crib and she slept the rest of the night.

This morning, it was like she was never sick! She must have broke her fever overnight because she didn't feel warm at all this morning and has been happy and playing all morning long. Hopefully the worst of it is over.

This may not seem like a big deal to some but this was for us. Mia is 3 1/2 years old and Sophie is now 1 and we have NEVER had to take either of them to the doctor for anything other than a well-baby visit. EVER!!! We've been SOOOOOOO lucky! Sophie broke our streak but I don't mind. I'm glad we took her in when we did... whatever she had needed a little something more than Motrin and Tylenol and now she is well on her way back to being healthy again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Jo,
Just reading your blog and already knew about Sophie, but continued to read what you had written. When I got to the OMG moment, you have NEVER had to take the girls to the Dr. except for "well baby" exams!!! LUCKY oh isn't the word. I can't tell you how lucky you guys are. I can't imagine how many visits our boys had b/4 they were 3. Ears, tonsils, sore throats etc. Cont. to say your prayers! Love AB